Thursday, March 17, 2011

The First Docent Training Session of 2011

By Nancy Pfau, Volunteer Docent

This is the first in an ongoing series of blog posts by Fenimore Art Museum's amazing Volunteer Docents!



Just spent the morning at the first of the 2011 Docent Training sessions at The Fenimore Art Museum -- such exciting exhibitions for this year! The Frida Kahlo: Through the Lens ofNikolas Muray photo exhibition should be a real draw! The photos are exquisite.

This will be only my second year as a Docent and I already feel as though I have learned a great deal! The conversations with the curators are enlightening as are the opportunities to meet some unique and very talented guests. Last summer I was fortunate to speak with a Native American Art Professor from the University of Zurich, Switzerland! We never know who will walk through the doors.

I'm sharing two fun photos -- the one below is of the snow I needed to shovel through to get to the car recently! And the other at the top is of my husband and me with friends from North Carolina who were visiting the Fenimore last autumn.



About me:
I grew up in Sharon Springs, a small village about 25 miles east of Cooperstown. As a girl, the village of Cooperstown was one of my favorite places to spend time swimming and picnicking at Otsego Lake, dining at the cafes and restaurants, going to the museums or shopping on Main Street. After graduating from Syracuse University, I married and moved away. My husband and I lived all over the world in our first 44 years of marriage and I taught in some fascinating places (Tehran, Iran; Miami, Florida; California; Virginia; Illinois). When we decided to retire, I could think of no place more special than my hometown! We still travel extensively with our children and their families scattered from Switzerland to Arkansas, but we love returning home, where I am now the Town Historian and we occasionally appear in cameo roles in Planet Green's reality TV show, The Fabulous Beekman Boys!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin