Thursday, July 7, 2011

Shine a Light, Part 2

By Steve Loughman, Preparator


In May, I told you about lighting the galleries in preparation for our exhibition openings of A Window Into Edward Hopper and Prendergast to Pollock: American Modernism from the Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute. The process doesn't end there. One of my favorite parts of working at Fenimore Art Museum is being able to walk around the galleries first thing in the morning. It’s quite a different atmosphere when it’s just me and the art.  Every day I do my rounds in the galleries at least twice a day. Before we open for the day I like to make sure that all our lights are working, labels still look good, and the overall appearance of the galleries is ready for the day's visitors. Checking all the lights is quite the task in itself. To give you an idea we have about 100 lights on the 1st floor of the Fenimore Art Museum, and we have about the same in the Clark Gallery, where you can currently see Frida Kahlo: Through the Lens of Nickolas Muray!  



2 comments:

emma porter said...

This is such a relaxing post to read. Really shows how much you enjoy your work!

Stephen Loughman said...

Thanks Emma! I love what I do for sure!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin