Thursday, May 27, 2010

Trains, Taxis and Trucks

By Stephen Loughman, Preparator

As Preparator, I often get asked to run the longer distance errands. I was recently asked if I would be interested in being a courier for the day. A courier travels with artwork as it comes from one institution to another to make sure everything goes smoothly. In this case I was traveling with artwork from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City (below). So early in the morning I took to the train down from Albany to Penn Station. Once in the heart of Manhattan I took a cab over to the Met. My hope was to beat the truck there so that I could have a few moments to check out the museum, but once there I was whisked away to the work areas underground. It was a bustle of activity, people scurrying around in every direction. I met my truck drivers for the day and hopped in the passenger side of the box truck. Getting out of Manhattan was somewhat of a challenge, kind of nerve racking for someone who is not used to traffic, even on my short drive into work every morning. Once we escaped Manhattan, it was smooth sailing up the Thruway towards Albany. We all settled in for a three and a half hour drive stopping only to grab a quick bite to eat. I caught up on some reading, but was glad to reach the museum and get out and stretch! The artwork was brought in, and my truck driving friends were off to their next stop. All in all it was about a ten-hour day of travel. But it will be all worth it when we open the doors for John Singer Sargent: Portraits in Praise of Women here at the end of May.

Two Girls with Parasols, oil on canvas. Lent by the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Gift of Mrs. Francis Ormond, 1950 (50.130.13)

Madame X (Madame Pierre Gautreau), 1883-4, Oil on canvas. Lent by The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Gift of Mrs. Francis Ormond and Miss Emily Sargent, 1931 (31.43.3)


Madame X (Madame Pierre Gautreau), 1883-4, Oil on canvas. Lent by The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Purchase, Charles and Anita Blatt Gift, John Wilmerding Gift and Rogers Fund, 1970 (1970.47)

1 comment:

Marc said...

As Preparatory, you can experience different modes of transportation as you often get asked to run the longer distance errands.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin